The Youth & Apprentice Spring Turkey Hunting Weekend 2018 will take place on April 7 (statewide) and April 8 (private land only with the written permission of the landowner), making a perfect opportunity to take a young person or apprentice hunter afield for a chance of taking a gobbler.
Resident and nonresident youth hunters 15 years of age and under or holders of a valid apprentice hunting license, when in compliance with all applicable laws and licenses, may hunt when accompanied and directly supervised by an adult who has a valid Virginia hunting license or is exempt from purchasing a hunting license. Nonresident youth of any age need to have the appropriate licenses (unless exempt from purchasing a license).
- Hunting hours are from 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset.
- Bag limit is one turkey (bearded bird only) per youth/apprentice hunter, per weekend.
- Turkeys harvested by youth or apprentice hunters count against their daily and season bag limit.
Adult hunters accompanying youth or apprentice turkey hunters:
- Do not need a deer/turkey license on this weekend.
- May assist with calling. (Electronic calls are not allowed)
- Shall not carry or discharge a firearm.
- Shall maintain close visual and verbal contact with and provides adequate direction to the youth or apprentice hunter.
Remember Safety First!
Because turkeys have both keen hearing and sharp eyesight, camouflage is worn by hunters. It is essential for every hunter to positively identify their target and the area beyond their target, before pulling the trigger. Most hunting fatalities are the result of the hunter not making sure of his or her target.