Located in southeastern Albemarle County, Scottsville Lake is a 3.5-acre lake within the 63-acre Van Clief Nature Area that is owned and operated by the Town of Scottsville.
The lake is part of DWR’s put-and-take trout stocking program. As well as the trout, the lake has small populations of crappie, bluegill, largemouth bass, and redear sunfish. Additionally, channel catfish are stocked each fall to provide a sustained fishery.
Scottsville Lake is open during daylight hours and is a natural area with minimal infrastructure (only trails, parking areas, and cleared fishing areas). The lake is a quick drive or five-minute walk to downtown Scottsville where there are numerous restaurants, a gas station, restrooms, the Town administration building, and many main street stores. In addition to a general freshwater fishing license, a trout fishing license is required to fish the lake from October 1st through June 15th.
For more information on Van Clief Nature Area or Scottsville Lake contact the Town of Scottsville at (434) 286-9267 or visit the Town website for Scottsville Lake.
Maps & Directions
The nature area is located off Route 795 (Hardware Street), a side street of Route 20, immediately north of Town.
- Largemouth Bass Special Regulation: 12 to 22-inch protective slot limit. No bass between 12 and 22-inches may be retained.
- Only 1 bass greater than 22 inches may be retained per angler per day.
- Trout: 6 per day limit, no fish less than 7 inches.
- Channel Catfish: 8 per day limit, no fish less than 15 inches.
- Statewide creel limits apply for all other species.
- Electric motors only (use of gasoline motors prohibited). No boat launch available on lake.
- Fires prohibited.
Facilities, Amenities, and Nearby Attractions
- Fee ✘
- Parking ✔
- Handicap-Accessible ✘
- Food Concession ✘
- Picnic Tables ✘
- Grills ✘
- Restrooms ✘
- Hiking Trails ✔
- Bike Trails ✘
- Viewing Blinds ✘
- Observation Platforms ✘
- Fishing Pier/Platform ✘
- Boat Ramps ✘
- Motorboat Access ✘
- Horsepower Limit ✘
- Electric Motor Only ✘
- Paddle Access ✘
- Camping ✘
- Primitive Camping Only ✘