|COVID-19 & the VBWTBefore heading out to visit a site on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail, be sure to check if that site has any COVID-19 policies or closures in place. This information is typically posted on a site's own website.
Sites On This Loop
- MBR01: Shot Tower State Park (Access to New River Trail State Park)
- MBR02: New River Trail State Park: Foster Falls
- MBR03: Beaver Dam Creek Trail
- MBR04: Devil’s Den Nature Preserve
- MBR05: Laurel Hill, Birthplace of Major General J.E.B. Stuart, CSA
- MBR06: Stewarts Creek Wildlife Management Area
- MBR07: Crooked Creek Wildlife Management Area
Most of the sites on this loop are in and around Carroll County in the Blue Ridge Highlands. Loop sites span from the New River along the Blue Ridge Parkway to Major J.E.B. Stuart’s Birthplace, and end at two wildlife management areas near the City of Galax. The drive between each site is scenic and can provide extensive wildlife watching opportunities from the road (be careful, drivers!). White-tailed deer are abundant throughout this area, as are woodchuck and eastern chipmunk. Some of these sites, such as Major J.E.B. Stuart’s Birthplace and the Shot Tower Historical State Park, offer a rich historical experience as well. Other sites, such as Devil’s Den Nature Preserve, relay their ancient histories through their fascinating geological characteristics.
Wythe County Parks, Recreation and Tourism