|COVID-19 & the VBWTBefore heading out to visit a site on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail, be sure to check if that site has any COVID-19 policies or closures in place. This information is typically posted on a site's own website.
Sites On This Loop
- MPO01: James River Heritage Trail at Percival’s Island Natural Area
- MPO02: Old City Cemetery
- MPO03: Blackwater Creek Natural Area and Hiking Trails
- MPO04: Ruskin Freer Nature Preserve
- MPO06: Trail of the Trees
- MPO07: Locher Tract
- MPO08: Natural Bridge State Park
- MPO09: Warbler Road
- MPO10: Peaks of Otter Recreation Area
- MPO11: Claytor Nature Study Center of Lynchburg College
- MPO11A: Johnson’s Orchards-Peaks of Otter Winery
- MPO12: Harvey’s Knob Overlook
This loop offers venues that are all within sight of the Peaks of Otter, named for the three peaks at the headwaters of the Big Otter River. This is a loop that is sure to satisfy every wildlife-watching aspiration in the mountain region of Virginia, including views of the James River, stops along the Blue Ridge Parkway, historical sites, and large areas of neotropical breeding grounds. Of particular interest to nature enthusiasts may be Warbler Road, known as a great migrant “trap”, as well as breeding habitat for songbirds, or the Peaks of Otter, which is home to the endemic Peaks of Otter salamander. For visitors that welcome a rich historical experience to their nature explorations, the Natural Bridge is an imperative must-see.