|COVID-19 & the VBWTBefore heading out to visit a site on the Virginia Bird & Wildlife Trail, be sure to check if that site has any COVID-19 policies or closures in place. This information is typically posted on a site's own website.|
Elevation: 1425 ft.
Lake Campbell at Massanetta Springs Conference Center provides easy access to an idyllic setting filled with water birds. Search the banks for great blue and green herons and the overhanging willows for a belted kingfisher. Check the wires and treetops for eastern kingbird and eastern bluebird. Some of the most interesting birds here may be observed in the winter when the lake supports a diversity of waterfowl. Search the flocks of Canada geese for gadwall, ring-necked duck, and redhead. Lucky observers may also spot canvasback, pied-billed grebe, American coot, ruddy duck, and more. In August and September, check over the water and along the banks for a variety of butterflies and dragonflies.
Lake Campbell is part of Massanetta Springs Conference Center, a private facility, mostly reserved for registered guest use. However, the facility has graciously permitted birders and wildlife viewers to observe Lake Campbell under the following guidelines. Please respect the facility’s wishes.
- Lake Campbell is completely closed to the public for the months of June and July while summer camp is in session.
- While observing the lake, stay on the Massanetta Springs Road side of Lake Campbell. Do not cross the bridge or dam.
- Park in one of the lots closest to the Historic Hotel and walk over to the lake. Do NOT park in the driveway of the white house just above Lake Campbell. (That area is private property and well posted with signs.) It would also be helpful to Massanetta staff if you put a note on your dash reading, “Parked for VA Bird & Wildlife Trail.”
- Fishing is only permitted to registered Massanetta Springs guests.
Physical Address: 712 Massanetta Springs Road, Harrisonburg, VA 22801
From I-81 near Harrisonburg, take exit 247A and merge onto US 33 E/E Market St toward Elkton. In 2.6 miles, turn right (southwest) onto SR 687 and continue for 0.8 miles until the lake appears to the right. Park in one of the lots closest to the Massanetta Springs Conference Center’s Historic Hotel and walk over to the lake. Do NOT park in the driveway of the white house just above Lake Campbell. (That area is private property and well posted with signs.) It would also be helpful to Massanetta staff if you put a note on your dash reading, “Parked for VA Bird & Wildlife Trail.”
Location & DirectionsView on Google Maps
- Site Contact: Massanetta Springs: 540-434-3829, [email protected]
- Access: Closed to public June-July. Open to public August - May.
Birds Recently Seen at Lake Campbell at Massanetta Springs Conference Center (as reported to eBird)
- Canada Goose
- Mute Swan
- Pied-billed Grebe
- Belted Kingfisher
- European Starling
- Eastern Bluebird
- American Robin
Seasonal Bird Observations